CBIS Portfolio Company:Gilead Sciences
CBIS began its engagement with Gilead Sciences on the issue of access to health for the world’s poor in 2016. CBIS has already met with the access to Medicine Foundation to discuss ways Gilead and the pharmaceutical industry can help the world’s poorest people access the medicine they need. Pharmaceutical companies have an important role to play by responding with concrete, effective action to combat diseases that disproportionately affect the poor and vulnerable. Expanding the supply of life-saving medications can help meet an urgent public health need in low-income countries. Gilead produces and has improved access to medications in developing countries for HIV, hepatitis, and disease caused by parasites. CBIS will work with Gilead to ensure the company is evaluating reduced pricing options to expand coverage for patients, coordinating and supporting education for medical and clinical workers, and expanding innovative patent agreements to hepatitis therapies.
In the first quarter of 2017, CBIS and other shareholders had a call in April to discuss Gilead’s new focus:
- Market expansion: To tackle the Hepatitis C crisis, Gilead will build new manufacturing plants in China where 10 million people are infected. Gilead hopes to replace outdated medications with poor cure rates.
- Pilot projects: Gilead donated drugs to the government of Georgia, the country with the world’s third highest prevalence of hepatitis C. The goal is a 90% reduction in prevalence by 2020.
- Global frameworks: The company committed to meet the UN Sustainable Development Goal of ensuring healthy lives and well-being worldwide by 2030, a positive step.
- Catholic Responsible Investments
Timely and thought-provoking insights from the CBIS Investment Team, key considerations for Catholic Responsible Investing (CRI) investors, and active ownership updates from the Impact & Justice team.
CRI Issue Reports
- Inaugural Impact Report Download PDF
- Divestment: Targeted Fossil Fuels Download PDF
- CBIS Encouraged by BP Commitment to Tackle Fossil Fuel Emissions Download PDF
- Human Trafficking – The Supply Chain Challenge Download PDF
- Supply Chain Accountability Download PDF
- Corporate Strategies to Address Human Trafficking Download PDF
- BP & Shell Decisions Download PDF
- Climate Change Download PDF
Impact and Justice Reports
- I&J Quarterly Review – 2Q 2023 Download PDF
- I&J Quarterly Review – 1Q 2023 Download PDF
- I&J Quarterly Review – 4Q 2022 Download PDF
- I&J Quarterly Review – 3Q 2022 Download PDF
- I&J Quarterly Review – 2Q 2022 Download PDF
- Impact & Justice: July 2021 Download PDF
- Impact & Justice: May 2021 Download PDF
- Impact & Justice: February 2021 Download PDF
- Impact & Justice: October 2020 Download PDF
- Impact & Justice: August 2020 Download PDF
- Impact & Justice Supplement: A Holistic Approach Download PDF
- Impact & Justice: April 2020 – COVID-19 Update Download PDF
- Impact and Justice: January 2020 – Vatican Summit Download PDF
- Impact and Justice: September 2019 Download PDF
CRI Progress Reports
For each of the Impact & Justice engagements, the team establishes short- and long-term goals in order to measure and evaluate progress. Goals are dependent on how far along a company is towards identifying and addressing an issue.
The Catholic Responsible Investing approach centers on three key principles: Economic Justice, Care for Creation, and Human Dignity.